Friday, October 29, 2010

I've become Bakelite obsessed:

Yes, yes it's true, I have! *hangs head in shame*

I admired it a while, didn't know a ton about it and figured I'd NEVER afford the habit. So,I told myself "don't get started..before it's too late". ( I'm already far gone on confetti lucite jewelry & knee hugger elves).

Then, I purchased a piece ( for myself) and there's no turning back! I started with a Bakelite art brooch:Meaning the woman used bakelite pieces,then added a bundle of Lucite cherries.There's also a seller on etsy that makes Mahjong bracelets.They're made with bakelite tile pieces,but she uses pony beads as spacers. ONLY $10-so yes..maybe not TOTALLY authentic,but I don't have $95+ for the 100% authentic ones that I see in antique malls and on ebay (until I luck up, that is!).It's just as good though!

I purchased a French piece, for my etsy shop.A wonderful carved brooch,set in metal.It hasn't sold yet and only has 1-heart, I'm coming closer and closer to keeping it myself:

Photobucket

Then one week, after good sales in my etsy shop ( which never happens), I bought a trio from a dealer in England.They're my favorite colors and were a good price:

Photobucket

THEN, on Wednesday, My mother takes my husband and I out to eat in Hickory, for out 5-year wedding anniversary.We're so broke, it's ridiculous,at the moment.She says we can go antiquing and gives us each $20.Ok,that's not much,but for us..it's plenty! She' so sweet! We get deals from the shop owners because they know us,they like us and they appreciate us! Sweeet!
There's this hole in the wall off of an exit, on the way into Hickory.It's right beside a gas station in the middle of nowhere! I actually bought my vintage table and chairs from there, for $395! Anwho-I looked in all the booths, then passed a tiny display case,on top of a display counter.I took a gander right quick, low and behold, a cherry red- swirled bakelite brooch! Carved and large! ONLY $35! My mom gave me $7 more,then Erick gave me $10.She said she'd give me 10% off, since that seller's booth isn't "firm on prices". So after tax, I paid $33.95.This isn't such a clear photo..I used available light in the house:
Photobucket
It's so drop dead gorgeous! I've never seen this brooch.I've seen the shape of this piece, as a necklace,but without the carving.I've only ever seen it in a vanilla color as well.So I'm guessing this must be a hard to find piece.I'm keeping this for myself, obviously! I'm a sucker for brooches.

No comments:

Post a Comment